June 20, 1998 |
Considering what happened Thursday, Tom Smith could not be happier that the in-home water filtration product his company sells hasn't been very popular. On Thursday, a California environmental watchdog group said that the Uniflow water filtration system distributed by Franke Inc., a Swiss company with its U.S. office in Hatfield, actually increased the lead content of drinking water instead of removing impurities as it was designed to do. "These results show that consumers are often exposed to toxic levels of lead from these products," said Richard Mass, research director of the Environmental Quality Institute of the University of North Carolina-Asheville, which conducted the study for California's Center for Environmental Health.
October 20, 1994 |
An explosion ripped through an oil refinery yesterday, injuring 30 workers, three critically. The afternoon blast originated in a line carrying liquid petroleum gas, but its cause was not immediately known, said Bill Buckalew, environmental health and safety manager at the Mobil Oil plant. A fire that went to three alarms was quickly extinguished, Fire Capt. Randy Brooks said. Portions of the refinery south of Los Angeles were shut down, but most of the plant was operating normally within a few hours, Mobil said in a statement.
February 6, 2016 |
The national uproar over lead poisoning in Flint, Mich., has drawn renewed attention to a children's health crisis that has plagued Pennsylvania and New Jersey for decades. The states' own data show that 18 cities in Pennsylvania and 11 in New Jersey may have an even higher share of children with dangerously elevated levels of lead than does Flint. The states' reports, released in 2014, were recirculated this week by health advocates trying to draw attention to the lead problem. "We're not to trying to take anything away from Flint," said Elyse Pivnick, director of environmental health for Isles Inc., a community development organization based in Trenton.
December 4, 2014 |
A lawsuit has been filed on behalf of 16 emergency responders seeking compensation and medical monitoring for health concerns stemming from a 2012 train derailment and toxic spill in Paulsboro. The lawsuit names Conrail, CSX, and Norfolk Southern, which operate a bridge that malfunctioned and caused the accident. It also names the Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health, a consulting firm hired to assess medical problems. A lawyer representing the workers said the firm, hired by the railroad companies, either failed to take urine samples for medical monitoring or lost them.
July 5, 2016 |
The good news about the venomous clinging jellyfish recently found in North Jersey is that they inhabit shallow inland waterways, not surf. The bad news - as a college student learned last month - is that their sting is dangerous and agonizingly painful. And these one-inch sea monsters might be spreading toward South Jersey. "It's really awful," said John Gaynor, a molecular biologist called in by the state to research the jelly's whereabouts. "I don't know that there's anything that can be done to keep them out. " Gaynor, who studies jellyfish at Montclair State University, was standing Friday on the dock of his vacation home in Brick, which overlooks the broad Metedeconk River in Ocean County.
February 13, 2016 |
For years, whenever the Philadelphia health department discovered a restaurant with hygiene problems that posed a public threat, it has ordered the business to shut down and clean up. And for years, restaurants have been able to ignore those cease-and-desist orders. That's set to change in March. An agreement signed by the health agency and the Department of Licenses & Inspections will give health inspectors the power to shut down problem eateries, said Palak Raval-Nelson, director of Environmental Health Services.
January 24, 2014 |
Over the last few years, Philly's mobile-food industry has finally begun to catch up with the city's impressive restaurant scene, as dozens of chefs and entrepreneurs debut creative concepts well beyond gyros and soft pretzels. Now, those food trucks selling pork-cheek tacos and grass-fed burgers are spurring a secondary market: new and improved commissaries designed just for them. The facilities are equipped not just with basic prep tables and sanitizing sinks, but also with full commercial kitchens, secure parking, and lots of extras.
April 11, 1997
The trouble with a chocolate high is it wears off quickly - and that can leave you feeling cranky. One month after members of Congress held a retreat in Hershey, America's chocolate capital, to relearn (or, in some cases, be introduced to) the arts of civil dialogue, two high-ranking lawmakers got in a jawing and shoving match on the House floor Wednesday. Rep. David Obey of Wisconsin, top Democrat on the Appropriations Committee, wagged an angry finger in the face of Republican Whip Tom DeLay of Texas, who responded with a shove and the kind observation that Mr. Obey was a "gutless chickens--t.
January 19, 1995 |
About 200 gallons of aluminum chloride solution spilled from a cracked pipe at Nalco Chemical Co. yesterday morning, and some of the mixture leaked into a ditch that feeds into Little Mantua Creek, company officials said. Nalco and county health officials said yesterday afternoon that the spill was controlled before anything entered the creek. "We expect no residual problems," said Jim Woods, senior environmental health specialist for the Gloucester County Department of Health.
January 24, 1991 |
State, county and local officials have established a game plan for investigating the contamination in wells near a Phoenixville Borough landfill. A cancer-causing chemical, which is known as tetrachloroethylene, perchloroethylene or PCE, was found in November in the wells of two Schuylkill Township residents who live next to a 14-acre dump site on Second Avenue in Phoenixville. So far, no one has been able to identify the source of the contamination, and tests conducted on the landfill have not shown signs of PCE. But the contamination at the homes is at levels that merit testing of other wells, said David Jackson, director of environmental health for the Chester County Health Department, after a meeting last Thursday.