May 13, 2015 |
The neighbors who live on Kensington Avenue smelled smoke and saw the flames pouring from the apartments above the hair-braiding salon Monday morning. They ran down the street. They called to their friends. Above them, Matthew Pote, 31, clung to a second-floor windowsill. His neighbors could glimpse him and his family through the smoke that swirled from the windows. Someone stretched a ladder up toward him, but, neighbors said, he lost his grip and plummeted to the sidewalk. His limp body was lying there when firefighters arrived.
January 5, 1989 |
An apparent arson fire broke out shortly after lunch-time Tuesday in the Radnor High School auditorium, destroying the stage curtain and forcing evacuation of more than 900 students and adults, officials said. The high school's fire alarm system was being serviced and was not working at the time, according to Radnor Superintendent John DeFlaminis. School officials alerted the Radnor Fire Co. by telephone at 1:05 p.m. The evacuation was ordered over the school's public address system.
January 27, 1989 |
In the aftermath of an apartment fire in which two Asians were critically injured, inspectors from the Department of Licenses and Inspections plan to inspect all similar buildings in the West Philadelphia neighborhood today. The cause of the blaze Wednesday at a four-story apartment building on Chestnut Street between 47th and 48th was still under investigation, said Fire Department spokesman Lt. Jack Christmas. Yom Chim, 49, remained in critical condition at St. Agnes Medical Center last night.
February 4, 1989 |
The city's Department of Licenses and Inspections closed down the Mayfair House apartment building because the agency needed to repair its image, soiled by a stinging grand jury report, the building's owner charged yesterday. L&I shut down the 15-story Germantown building Jan. 19 because there was no water above the fifth floor and its fire alarm system wasn't working. That night, the city's Office of Services to Homeless and Adults relocated 60 families to temporary or permanent homes.
October 13, 1988 |
The Swarthmore Borough Council has unanimously approved a plan to divide a 16,262-square-foot lot in two to permit construction of a single-family house on Drexel Avenue. Kobi Muhlenberg sought permission to divide his property at 338 Park Ave. into two lots. One of the lots would front on Drexel Avenue. The council approved the subdivision plan, 7-0, during its business meeting Tuesday. "There is an existing house and a garage," said borough manager Richard Hunt.
January 25, 1999 |
Tenants fleeing their burning Chestnut Hill apartment building searched the darkness in vain for their elderly neighbor - a woman who walked with a cane. But it wasn't until the three-alarm fire was extinguished early Saturday morning that firemen combing the ruins of the building, in the Chestnut Hill Village Apartments complex, found the woman's charred body. The fire marshal's office said she was in her 80s, but did not immediately identify her. Another woman, 71, suffered smoke inhalation and was in satisfactory condition at Chestnut Hill Hospital.
March 15, 2014 |
Residents of a 54-unit East Oak Lane condominium building were bracing Thursday night for an eviction that could come as early as Friday afternoon. The city has posted a cease-and-desist order at the Oak Lane Garden condominiums, 6751 N. 13th St., citing life-threatening safety violations throughout the common areas, including no working fire alarm system, broken sewer pipes, blocked exits, exposed wiring, and other faults. Rebecca Swanson, spokeswoman for the Department of Licenses and Inspections, said that although the structure is not imminently dangerous, the lack of safety systems places occupants at risk.
November 16, 1986 |
The Octorara school board has begun a public review of plans for building repairs and reconstruction that are part of a proposed $4.3 million bond issue. Repairs to the fire alarms, heat-distribution system and well-water pipes in the district's Route 41 school building complex "absolutely have to be done," Octorara superintendent Richard P. McAdams said at the board's work session Monday night. A public hearing to consider proposed construction of a $1.26 million library and arts complex is scheduled for the high school at 8 p.m. tomorrow.
March 30, 1994 |
Municipal Judge Morton Krase, a self-confessed boxing fan, doesn't like to throw any quick punches, so he went to the Blue Horizon Club to see for himself if the legendary fight arena was breaking any laws. Philadelphia's storied boxing venue has been in technical violation of the city's fire code since 1991. When the case landed in Krase's court last week, the judge decided to have a look for himself. So yesterday, for only the second time in his 10 years on the bench, Krase held court outside his regular courtroom, taking a "judicial view" of the Blue Horizon on Broad Street near Thompson.
March 15, 1995 |
Another settlement has been reached in the One Meridian Plaza fire, this one between the high-rise's owner and the company that installed and maintained the building's fire alarm system. E/R Associates, which owns One Meridian, alleged that Honeywell Inc. failed to properly test and inspect the alarm system, causing a 4 1/2-minute delay in the fire department's being summoned when the blaze broke out at 8:23 p.m. on Feb. 23, 1991. Three firefighters died. "That was a critical period," said Miles Jellinek, one of the lawyers representing the building's owner.