January 22, 2000 |
Seton Hall University officials maintained yesterday that a series of emergency evacuations at the dormitory where a fire killed three freshmen Wednesday was the equivalent of legally required fire drills. The assertion came a day after school officials said they had not conducted any fire drills this school year at Boland Hall and could not recall whether any had ever been held at the dorm. In an apparent attempt to deflect parent criticism about the absence of a sprinkler system in Boland Hall, school officials commissioned and released a poll of colleges and universities around the nation indicating that many have older dorms without sprinklers.
September 9, 1993 |
Barkan's Tutoring & Testing Service, tucked into the back end of the Red Barn Mall, is nearly invisible. But local parents know about it. For 16 years, they have enrolled their children for one-on-one tutoring to help them over hurdles in algebra, reading and other subjects. In April, a state regulator drove through Hatboro, found Barkan's and told its director that the tutoring center was subject to a flurry of state private-school regulations. Dave Reckless, Barkan's director, laughed at a few of them.
January 21, 2000 |
Seton Hall University officials yesterday said they had not conducted any fire drills this school year in the freshman dormitory where three students died in a fire, raising the possibility of a violation of the state fire code. New Jersey's uniform fire code requires "at least two" fire drills every year in dormitories of four stories or more, and records must be kept in case local fire officials request them. University officials could not say if a fire drill had ever been held at Boland Hall, site of Wednesday's fierce blaze, which sent nearly 60 students to the hospital.
January 14, 1993 |
Ordered into port in Eddystone Borough for a long layover, Capt. Richard Johnston of the Louisiana, a liquid natural-gas carrier ship, realized he had an unusually large surplus of food. His proposed solution: Give the food to the United Way for distribution in area food banks. Johnston's generosity a year ago this month earned him recognition and thanks during Monday's Borough Council meeting. "They proved that you don't have to live next door to be a good neighbor," said Mary Howatt, the borough secretary.
December 23, 2005
Thank you for your story on the decrepit schools in Philadelphia and your focus on Joshua Kulda, an admirable 10-year- old child with cerebral palsy (Dec. 19). As the owner of a business focused on accessible solutions and the father of a 7 year-old child with cerebral palsy, I was appalled and saddened by what Joshua must endure each day, including being fearful of being left behind during fire drills. I also was impressed with Joshua's mother and her personal dedication to improving her son's school.
November 12, 1987 |
Fire Chief Allicia Screven is ablaze with pride. She just won top patrol in the city. Allicia, 11, is the leader of the Junior Fire Patrol at the Joseph H. Brown Elementary School at Frankford Avenue and Stanwood Street. Last Thursday, about 30 Brown students won a plaque and Allicia got a trophy declaring the patrol the best in the city. Fourteen other schools also received citations at a luncheon sponsored by the Philadelphia Fire Department and Sears, Roebuck & Co. The function also celebrated the Junior Fire Department's 30th anniversary.
March 23, 2011
'No one remembers anything in America," Frank Rich began one of his last columns. He was writing about the Great Government Shutdown of 1995, already largely unremembered and widely assumed to be non-analogous to anything. This column is about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire; 100 years ago on March 25, it killed 146 garment workers in New York in a matter of minutes. With its rows of tucks, ruching, embroidery, and lace insertions, the shirtwaist - we'd call it a blouse now - looks delicate, feminine, sweetly old-fashioned.
May 16, 1997 |
The fast-moving fire that swept through a care home, killing nine residents and turning the heart of this resort town to anguish, may have been caused by careless smoking, officials said yesterday. And some here raised a grim possibility: that residents may have initially ignored the fire alarms sounding in the home because of repeated false alarms in the past. State police Capt. Frank Panuccio said a preliminary investigation showed the fire at Country Manor Personal Care Home, which houses elderly and mentally retarded adults, appeared to have started in the enclosed front porch.
February 7, 1991 |
Fires caused about $342,000 in property losses in Lower Merion last year, the lowest figure in the 20 years that such records have been kept, township fire officials have reported. Township officials have said 1990 was a banner year for the volunteer fire companies, with the number of fire calls down by 9 percent and the number of building blazes down by 5 percent. "We think that our fire prevention program has a lot to do with it," Fire Chief Harry Knorr said this week. But "we're not discounting the fact that we were very fortunate.
July 8, 1987 |
As a 5-year-old in Beijing, Catherine Wang spent much of her free time drawing pictures, scribbling on any handy piece of paper. Her grandmother, Louise Wang, never thought too much about it. "She seemed to be teaching herself how to draw," Louise Wang said. Indeed she did. In June, Wang, now 18 and a junior at Cherry Hill High School East, bested 3,000 student competitors to win the statewide poster contest sponsored by the New Jersey Fire Prevention and Protection Association and the New Jersey State Bureau of Fire Prevention.