July 21, 2016 |
There were few things that Jerome Rodio, a retired Philadelphia police officer, loved more than fishing. On a dock last week on Chesapeake Bay, Rodio watched as an older man worked to bring up several crab traps. Rodio, 75, offered to help. A trap scratched the inside of Rodio's arm as he lifted it out of the shallow water. Three days later, Rodio, of Oxford, Chester County, was dead. "At one point he showed me the scratch and we laughed about it," said son Gene, who accompanied his father on a boat that morning to reel in perch.
July 9, 2016 |
There are three health violations that are sure to temporarily shut down an eatery in Philadelphia: no hot water, a rodent infestation, and not having an employee on site who has passed a food safety course. But it's the last infraction - having no one on duty trained to prevent food poisoning - that triggers the overwhelming number of closures. According to a spokesman for the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, eateries usually get one pass. But if an inspector returns, and a food safety certified person is still missing, the business is asked to "discontinue food operations" for at least the rest of the day. During the last week, the health department temporarily shuttered 19 restaurants and neighborhood groceries.
May 29, 2016 |
The health department usually inspects a Philadelphia eatery once a year. At Copabanana on South Street, however, sanitarians have dropped in six times since January and asked it to shut down twice. The margarita and burger joint has a chronic problem with keeping food at safe temperatures. When perishable items are stored between 42 and 165 degrees Fahrenheit, toxic bacteria - the types that can cause food poisoning - can multiply quickly. On May 18 a sanitarian found calamari and coleslaw stored at 46 degrees, 5 degrees warmer than is considered safe.
May 4, 2016
ISSUE | RESTAURANTS Post inspections Kudos to the Inquirer and Philly.com and their Clean Plates web page for providing access to the results of inspections of area restaurants. However, the public may need more information. For example, I recently walked by a restaurant near City Hall that had 19 illness-risk and retail violations, yet it was doing a booming lunch business. Food poisoning is horrendous to recover from, and I urge the Inquirer to continue publishing restaurant inspection reports.
February 17, 2015
ISSUE | CREDENTIALS Qualified, unlicensed There are many qualified, competent, and expert therapists who lack a Pennsylvania license ("Abuse expert lacks Pa. license," Feb. 7). As a Pennsylvania-certified - but not licensed - psychotherapist, I want to reassure Inquirer readers who followed news of the perjury charges against a psychologist over her expert-witness testimony: They can and will get excellent therapy from unlicensed individuals. The real issue in the case of child-abuse expert Sue Cornbluth is that an individual allegedly lied about her credentials.
January 25, 2015 |
When preparing food at home, do you: Clean sponges with soap to kill bacteria after wiping up drippings on countertops? Cover Tupperware containers when cooling hot food in the fridge? Rinse chicken in the sink? All not good. "Washing a sponge with soap doesn't get rid of bacteria," said microbiologist Michael Doyle, director of the University of Georgia's Center for Food Safety. They grow at room temperature and get spread around anything else you wipe off. "Put the sponge in a microwave for one minute to kill the salmonella and other bacteria," he said.
November 13, 2013 |
THIS TIME, Justin Bieber is blaming food poisoning for forcing him to stop his show in Buenos Aires - the second stoppage during his South America tour. "I'm not feeling too good, I think I'm out of energy," he told the unhappy crowd, saying he was sorry and blowing a kiss before walking off the stage while the boos escalated. Bieber posted a "selfie" photo on Twitter showing himself receiving intravenous fluids, and his manager, Scooter Braun , came to his defense. Braun said that Bieber's food poisoning was so severe, he spent eight hours on an IV drip before Sunday night's show, and doctors advised canceling, but Bieber didn't want to disappoint his fans.
May 16, 2013
DEAR ABBY: When friends and family get together, the conversation often turns to the subject of health. They look to each other for support and tips to get through the flu or a nasty case of food poisoning, and rely on each other's experience to tackle challenges like quitting smoking, managing heart disease, diabetes, menopause or conquering insomnia. To help your readers support their loved ones, the FDA's Office of Women's Health and the GSA's Federal Citizen Information Center have created the free Friends and Family Health Kit. It contains more than 20 publications that feature health-care and prevention tips for women and their families.
April 14, 2013
When mild health issues crop up, such as a persistent cough or food poisoning, you have the power to self-heal. But you'll need the proper instruments. "If people have the skills to self-treat for minor respiratory illness or diarrhea, it's sort of empowering," said Phyllis Kozarsky, a travel health consultant for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Before you depart on your travels, the CDC consultant recommends visiting the pharmacy aisles to collect some necessary items.
August 31, 2011 |
NEW YORK - It didn't take long to see that Novak Djokovic's right shoulder is feeling fine. Which was good, because he was on court for less than an hour yesterday. Djokovic began his first-round match at the U.S. Open with a 121 mph service winner. Four points later, he closed that game with a 120 mph ace. He whipped forehands exactly where he wanted them. He returned well, too. Playing his first match since Aug. 21, when he quit a match because of a sore and tired shoulder, the top-seeded Djokovic began setting aside any questions about his fitness for Flushing Meadows, building a 6-0, 5-1 lead before qualifier Conor Niland, of Ireland, stopped after 44 minutes.