December 19, 1991 |
An early-morning fire claimed the life of a Gloucester County man yesterday after his 8-year-old daughter, choking on smoke, was pulled from a bathroom window by police. The man's 14-year-old stepdaughter suffered minor injuries in the fire. Michael Trautz, 61, of the 400 block of North Delsea Drive in Clayton, was pronounced dead at Kennedy Memorial Hospitals/Washington Township Division. Krystle Trautz, 8, suffered severe smoke inhalation and was listed in stable condition at the Washington Township hospital.
December 11, 2011 |
Refurbishing a late 1920s house in Burlington City isn't just another project for master craftsman/historic-reconstruction specialist Joe Pennise Jr. The undertaking he began in fall 2008 is all about preserving a link to generations past and keeping fond family memories alive for future generations to share and enjoy. "My maternal grandfather, Frank Panico, came to the United States from Italy at age 20 with only $25 in his pocket shortly before World War I," Joe says, then he joined the U.S. Army and returned to Europe to fight for the Allies.
December 6, 2000 |
Fires that injured four people in Harrison Township and Westville on Monday night appear to have been accidental, Gloucester County Fire Marshal William Reiger said. The first was reported about 6:30 p.m. in a two-story duplex at 324 Stonehouse Lane in Harrison. The fire wall prevented the flames from spreading to the second home, Reiger said. Harvey Z. Phillips, a resident, was in critical condition at Crozer-Chester Medical Center in Upland, Delaware County. He was being treated for third-degree burns and smoke inhalation.
November 29, 1986 |
A woman and her 7-year-old daughter died in a one-alarm fire that erupted before dawn yesterday in their home in the 2500 block of Tilton Street in Richmond, fire officials said. Patricia Bozarth, 26, was found dead in the second-floor rear bedroom of the two-story frame house, according to fire Capt. Robert Drennen. In the second-floor front bedroom, firefighters discovered the body of Bozarth's daughter, Jennifer. Both victims had suffered burns and smoke inhalation, investigators said.
January 12, 1986 |
Rescue workers searched the rubble of a two-story farmhouse in a Maryland suburb of Washington yesterday for the bodies of four adults and two children killed when flames raced through the building. Eleven people were asleep in the frame house when the blaze broke out about 2:30 a.m. in the rural community of Boyds, almost 30 miles outside Washington, said Ray Mulhall, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire Department. Five people managed to escape the flames and were taken to local hospitals, but the six others were trapped in the burning house, Mulhall said.
September 10, 1987 |
An 8-year-old boy and his 7-year-old sister were killed yesterday and their parents and older sister injured when fire destroyed their two-story frame house in National Park. Killed were Michael and Kellie DuBeau. Their mother, Sandra, 30, was listed in critical condition yesterday at the Crozer-Chester Medical Center Burn Treatment Center. Vincent DuBeau, 31, the father, was treated for minor burns of the face at Underwood-Memorial Hospital and released. Another daughter, Delores, 12, was treated at Underwood for minor burns of the hands and face and released.
October 9, 2013 |
A young poet who calls himself Willow Zef lives and works in a house that lacks an address, but offers an abundance of arboreal splendor. He's resident caretaker and artist-in-residence at Collingswood's Knight Park clubhouse, a long-overlooked and underappreciated abode that opened in the borough's signature park in 1888. It had been vacant for two years until he moved in nine months ago. "This is a work in progress," says Zef, 26, who's maintaining and restoring the interior of the house for the Knight Park Trust.
February 4, 2007 |
As home-improvement projects go, lifting a house is not for the do-it-yourselfer. Hoisting something that weighs 100-plus tons requires exacting flood-elevation and relocation calculations, sturdy steel beams, and heavy-duty hydraulic lifts. Prime weather is critical, too. No snow, ice or blustery winds. Whether a home is wood or masonry block, it can be raised. And nearly everything inside may remain in place - even wall hangings, providing they are on sturdy hooks. Homeowners should put fragile items in storage and take along anything they will need for the two months they'll spend in temporary housing.
July 21, 1989 |
A 7-year-old girl died and two other children were injured in a house fire in Salem city, and a four-alarm blaze that was deliberately set heavily damaged a nearby warehouse hours later, authorities said yesterday. The dead girl was identified as Valetina H. Bell of Carpenter Street. Two of her sisters, Latina Bell, 5, and Tyioshi Bell, 12, were listed in stable condition after treatment for smoke inhalation at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia. Adrian Bell, 7, Valetina's twin brother, was rescued by neighbors as he was standing on the first-floor window sill in front of the home, authorities said.
December 6, 1987 |
A 68-year-old West Atco man suffering from emphysema, his wife and three children were rescued by a neighbor from their burning house in the 200 block of Hayes Mill Road yesterday morning. Winslow Township police said Wenceslao Mercado, the husband, who uses a respirator, was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by paramedics. No other injuries were reported. Rosalie Mercado, 54, said she and her husband were sleeping on the first floor of their two-story frame house in West Atco, when they were awakened by someone blowing a car horn.