April 19, 1991 |
Start-up tests at the Camden County incinerator spurred county residents to bring their fears about health and safety to the freeholders last night, when a string of speakers complained of problems, and potential problems, at the furnace. The plant, in Camden City, will continue its first phase of operations, so- called test-burning, until summer, when incinerator officials will seek an operating permit from the state. However, residents said that some neighborhoods had already been subjected to a suspicious-looking dust shower, that trash trucks were not adhering to designated routes, and that at least one trash truck spilled ash-residue from the incinerator onto a local highway.
November 13, 2012 |
INDIANAPOLIS - The owner of one of the homes that exploded in Indianapolis said Monday that a problem furnace could be to blame for the blast that killed two people and damaged dozens of homes so severely that officials say they must be demolished. John Shirley, 50, of Noblesville, told the Associated Press that his daughter sent him a text message last week saying the furnace in the home where she lives with her mother and her mother's boyfriend had gone out they had to stay at hotel.
January 23, 1995 |
A retired Philadelphia police sergeant's house was blown apart last night when his hot-water furnace exploded like a rocket, fire officials said. Miraculously no one was injured in the 6:54 p.m. blast, which rattled homes on Nestling Road near Narcissus and shot glass, wood and metal across the quiet Northeast block. "Everything's okay. Everybody got out," said James Welch, who lives across the street. "Apparently it looks like they were in the furthest room from the explosion, and that's what saved them.
October 23, 1991 |
Workers found human remains in a 1,800-degree furnace at a Fort Dix trash incinerator Monday, a half-hour after a civilian worker was reported missing, Fort Dix spokeswoman Dianne C. Felder said yesterday. The missing man, whose identity was being withheld pending identification of the remains, "is missing and presumed dead," said Felder. "We do not know that the remains are the remains of the missing worker," said Felder. "I don't know if they will be able to reach a conclusion (on the victim's identity)
March 11, 2011 |
Fire Department officials said Friday that they now know what triggered a terrifying explosion in Tacony earlier this year that claimed the life of a young Philadelphia Gas Works employee. The blast was ignited on Jan. 18 by a furnace inside Disston Chiropractic & Rehabilitation at 6932 Torresdale Ave., a Fire Department spokesman said. A 12-inch, high pressure gas main and a water main had both ruptured in the neighborhood shortly before the blast. Natural gas filled the chiropractor's office and was ignited by the furnace, the spokesman said.
November 15, 2015 |
Typically, I write about preparing your house for winter a bit in advance of Dec. 1. That date is the start of meteorological winter - the three coldest months of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, a period that ends on Feb. 28. This year, I'm giving you just 16 days to prepare, perhaps because in the years I have fine-tuned homeownership for myself, I've learned that getting ready for winter actually starts March 1 - when all the associated problems...
March 4, 1987 |
Deteriorated vents and pipes from an oil-burning furnace, which apparently had been illegally installed, allowed carbon monoxide to seep into a Willingboro house and kill four members of a family on Sunday, police and building officials said yesterday. The oil-burning furnace had been installed several years ago, police said. However, there was no record of any permit for the work nor of any inspection once it was completed, according to Leonard Mason, director of the Willingboro Housing Inspection Department.
January 27, 2012 |
The winter has been virtually snowless, but the temperatures haven't been high enough to give your furnace a three-month vacation. How well has your heat source been performing? Although replacing the furnace now - unless it has conked out and been beyond repair - is not considered wise, you might consider doing so when winter has vacated the premises. One expert, David Coulson of Napoleon Fireplaces in Crittenden, Ky., says the heating contractor first needs the size of the house and then determines the size of the furnace necessary for the space.
March 11, 2011 |
The explosion that killed a 19-year-old Philadelphia Gas Works employee and injured several others in January was sparked by a furnace inside a chiropractic office, the Fire Department said Friday. The blast killed Mark Keeley, of Fox Chase, a 2009 graduate of Cardinal Dougherty High School who had followed in his father's and grandfather's footsteps by joining PGW. A high-pressure gas main broke shortly before 7:30 p.m. Jan. 18 on the 6900 block of Torresdale Avenue, in the city's Tacony section, causing gas to accumulate in the area.