October 8, 1987 |
Six people were treated for injuries at hospitals yesterday after a gas explosion and fire at a senior citizens' center and apartment building at the Abbottsford Homes housing project in the East Falls section. Fire officials said the explosion at the three-story building in the 3200 block of McMichael Street occurred while subcontractors were doing plumbing work on the second and third floors. A gas line apparently became disconnected while the plumbers were working, detectives said.
March 7, 2002 |
Victims of a gas explosion at a Montgomery County apartment complex last year have sued Peco Energy Co. and the owners and managers of the complex, alleging negligence. Village Green Apartments in Upper Moreland exploded in flames in June after 20-foot-high floodwaters from Tropical Storm Allison dislodged a gas dryer in the basement of one building, causing a gas leak. The fire claimed the lives of six people. "This was a terrible tragedy which should have been prevented," said Thomas Kline, an attorney representing the families of four residents who died and six others who were injured.
January 17, 1988 |
About 150 families were evacuated from their Kensington neighborhood last night after a natural-gas explosion toppled rowhouse walls, shattered windows, crushed two parked cars under debris and triggered a two-alarm fire that decimated three homes and seriously damaged a fourth. Police and fire officials said two people were slightly injured and nine narrowly escaped injury in the explosion and fire, which occurred at 6:44 p.m. in the 2500 block of East Norris Street. The fire was brought under control around 7:20 p.m. John Meehan, of 2523 E. Norris St., said he was standing in his cellar investigating the odor of gas when "a ball of flame" ignited the woodwork around his basement windows.
October 2, 2010
LAKE HARMONY, Pa. - A sports complex at a northeastern Pennsylvania resort has been left severely damaged after a gas explosion. The Morning Call of Allentown reports no one was seriously hurt in the Friday morning blast at Split Rock Resort & Golf Club in the Poconos. Manager Chuck Dickinson said it happened around 7:30 a.m., about five minutes after someone reported smelling a gas leak. Dickinson said authorities believe the explosion is linked to a gas line. He said one employee was treated for minor injuries and some guests had to be evacuated.
April 30, 2013 |
PRAGUE, Czech Republic - A powerful blast believed to be a gas explosion ripped open an office building in the center of Prague on Monday, injuring at least 35 people and sending shock waves through the Old Town tourist district. The blast shattered windows in the scenic area of charming streets and postcard-pretty buildings, sending glass flying. Authorities closed a wide area around the site, and some tourists were stranded on street corners with baggage-loaded trolleys, unable to get into their hotels.
December 12, 1989 |
A 69-year-old woman who was the mother of a Philadelphia Gas Works employee was killed early yesterday when a natural-gas explosion ripped through her home in the Kensington section. The body of Catherine Jacovini of the 600 block of East Wensley Street was found about 7 a.m. in the wreckage of her two-story house, which was heavily damaged when the blast occurred at 12:43 a.m. Police said Jacovini's daughter, Roseanne, 41, who also lived in the house, suffered cuts and bruises in the explosion.
May 28, 1987 |
Three workers were burned, two critically, when a leaking gas grill exploded last night at a restaurant in the Oxford Valley Mall in Middletown, Bucks County, police said. The manager, Merlyn Kirkwood, 25, of Bensalem, and a cook, Charles Kaufmann, 26, of Langhorne, were critically injured when the grill they were cleaning at the York Steak House exploded about 10:20 p.m., Middletown police said. The restaurant was closed at the time, police said. A waitress, Gretchen Pfender, 16, suffered minor burns to her left arm, according to a spokeswoman at St. Mary Hospital in Middletown.
July 11, 2006 |
A historic four-story townhouse on Manhattan's Upper East Side collapsed into a pile of rubble yesterday after a thunderous explosion that hurled fireballs skyward and left an upscale block littered with bricks, broken glass and splintered wood. Authorities said the blast had been caused by gas, and they were investigating whether it was the result of a suicide attempt by the building's owner, a doctor who was going through a bitter divorce. The doctor, Nicholas Bartha, 66, and a passer-by were severely hurt; at least 13 other people had minor injuries.
February 1, 2014 |
A gas explosion sparked a fire in a South Philadelphia rowhouse Thursday night that displaced more than a dozen people, authorities said. Philadelphia Gas Works crews were at the scene on the 1800 block of South Bancroft Street, working alongside firefighters and emergency medical technicians as neighbors watched from their windows. The first fire call came in at 7:04 p.m., Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said. A minute later, neighbors reported an explosion. Responding firefighters saw light smoke coming from the top floor of a two-story house.
November 9, 2012
The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission on Thursday unanimously approved a $75,000 civil penalty against Peco Energy Co. for failing to follow procedures related to a 2009 gas leak and explosion at a house in Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County. A crack in a four-inch cast iron main allowed gas to leak into the crawl space of a house in the 600 block of Summit Street in Swedeland, which caused a "low-level explosion and fire" on Dec. 26, 2009. There were no injuries. The PUC criticized Peco for failing to follow its procedures for identifying and classifying leak migration.