November 21, 2014 |
TOMAYO McDUFFY, the Holmesburg teenager who spent the last year-and-a-half awaiting trial for allegedly breaking into a blind neighbor's house and attempting to kill her by turning on the gas stove, yesterday left a Philadelphia courtroom free and clear of the charges. In stark contrast to how long McDuffy had been a criminal defendant, it to took Assistant District Attorney Yvonne Heard less than a minute to tell Common Pleas Judge Timika Lane that her office was withdrawing the charges because "we cannot prove our burden.
February 26, 2013 |
A Haddon Heights woman who turned on her stove Saturday afternoon unwittingly sparked an explosion that blew the top two floors off her apartment building. Rachel M. Nunn, 26, was burned over 60 percent of her body and remained in critical condition Sunday at Crozer-Chester Medical Center in Delaware County. The explosion was traced to "a leaking natural gas line to an appliance on the second floor," Camden County Fire Marshal Paul Sandrock wrote in an e-mail. "The gas accumulated on the third floor of the building and ignited when a tenant turned on a gas stove.
February 25, 2013 |
A gas leak is being blamed for the explosion that blew the top two floors off a Haddon Heights apartment building Saturday, the Camden County fire marshal said. "Our investigation revealed a leaking natural gas line to an appliance on the second floor. The gas accumulated on the third floor of the building and ignited when a tenant turned on a gas stove in her apartment on the second floor," Fire Marshal Paul Sandrock said in an e-mail. The explosion, around 3:30 p.m., shook the ground for miles and sent debris flying across all four lanes of White Horse Pike.
October 24, 2012 |
The West Philadelphia apartment fire that killed a 4-year-old boy last week began after the child's mother left a gas stove on, fire officials said Monday. The Philadelphia Fire Department said Tymear Rose, 4, and his brother Tyheed, 3, were playing in the kitchen of their apartment on the sixth floor of the West Park Apartments on Busti Street. The boys' mother, Tasha Rose, 26, had left on two burners of the gas stove, Deputy Chief Derrick Sawyer said. The boys were playing with a cloth or towel that caught fire, Sawyer said.
October 23, 2012 |
The West Philadelphia apartment fire that killed a 4-year-old boy last week began after the child's mother left a gas stove on, fire officials said Monday. The Philadelphia Fire Department said 4-year-old Tymear Rose and his 3-year-old brother Tyheed were playing in the kitchen of their apartment on the sixth floor of the West Park Apartments on Busti Street. The boys' mother, Tasha Rose, 26, had left two burners on in the kitchen gas stove, Deputy Chief Derrick Sawyer said. The boys were playing with a cloth or towel that caught fire, Sawyer said.
October 4, 2012 |
By Mari A. Schaefer A fire in an apartment building in Chester County's Spring City on Friday has been ruled an arson. Spring City Police Chief Anthony Kuklinski, who was treated for smoke inhalation rescuing residents from the building, said the motive for the arson is still under investigation. The blaze at the River Edge Apartments on Riverside Drive destroyed the four residential units on the second floor and the Rex Tax Service on the ground floor, Kuklinski said. All of the burners and the oven of a gas stove in a vacant apartment had been turned on full, igniting the unit.
May 22, 2009 |
Question: I live in an apartment building. In the last couple of months, the management has been aggressively renovating empty apartments to attract prospective tenants. Renovation includes sanding and varnishing the original wood parquet floors. Unfortunately, very little effort is being made by the floor contractors to ventilate the varnish fumes. The fumes build up in hallways and neighboring apartments. I've complained to management, to no avail. Maybe I'm being an unnecessary alarmist.
January 8, 2008 |
A 59-year-old man and an 11-year-old boy were injured yesterday when a gas stove the man was lighting with a match burst into flames inside a home in East Mount Airy, fire officials said. The flash fire occurred at 11:51 a.m. in a home in the 6600 block of Chew Avenue. It was brought under control in about 10 minutes, said Executive Chief Daniel Williams of the Philadelphia Fire Department. The man was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition with second-degree burns to the face and neck, Williams said.
March 29, 2002 |
The two women lived alone, leading lives quiet and unassuming. Their deaths, however, were shocking, distinguished by a brutal crime scene left by an assailant who turned on a gas stove in an attempt to blow up their home, a homicide investigator said yesterday. A Philadelphia Gas Works employee discovered Julia Austin, 86, and Catherine Williams, 53, dead about 8:30 a.m. in their gas-filled home on North 12th Street in the Yorktown section of North Philadelphia, just blocks from the home of Mayor Street and close to the Temple University campus.
August 23, 1996 |
The fire that killed four people in a group home in Exton on Tuesday originated in the kitchen gas stove, according to preliminary reports released yesterday by West Whiteland police and state and county fire officials. The predawn blaze that killed three retarded men, two of them in wheelchairs, and a woman who helped manage the home on the 200 block of Locust Lane has been ruled accidental. Important questions remain. Among them are why the stove caught fire, and whether the smoke and heat alarms in the home malfunctioned.