October 2, 2012 |
WASHINGTON - The White House is acknowledging that an attempt was made to infiltrate its computer system, but says that it thwarted the effort and that no classified networks were threatened. White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters that the White House is equipped with mitigation measures that identified the attack, isolated it and prevented its spread. He said there was no indication that any data had been removed. "There are distinctions between those networks that contain classified information and those that don't, and the attack was against an unclassified network," Carney said.
July 5, 2012 |
LONDON - Britain's Supreme Court took a step toward exposing the names at the heart of Britain's phone-hacking scandal Wednesday, ruling that a private investigator convicted of eavesdropping for a Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid must reveal who ordered him to do it. Meanwhile, a police investigation into press wrongdoing triggered by the hacking revelations expanded beyond Murdoch's media empire with the arrest of a former reporter from the rival Mirror...
June 10, 2012 |
Hackers attacked Wawa's website Friday afternoon, replacing images of hoagies and smoothies with a cartoon Hitler. A hacker group called UGNazi announced that it had defaced the website. The group replaced Wawa's promotional content with a portrait of "Kawaii Hitler," an obscure Internet meme. A spokeswoman for Wawa initially denied that the Delaware County company's website had been compromised. But late Friday, Lori Bruce issued a statement acknowledging that visitors were being redirected to a "non-legitimate Web page.
May 16, 2012 |
LONDON - One of Rupert Murdoch's most trusted lieutenants and five people close to her were charged Tuesday with conspiring to hide evidence of phone hacking, bringing the scandal that has raged across Britain's media and political elite uncomfortably close to Prime Minister David Cameron. The charges against former tabloid editor Rebekah Brooks, her husband, Charlie, and four aides are the first prosecutions since police reopened inquiries 18 months ago into wrongdoing by the country's scandal-hungry press.
May 13, 2012 |
LONDON - Former editor Rebekah Brooks drew Prime Minister David Cameron closer into Britain's tabloid phone hacking scandal Friday, saying he had offered her some support after the uproar over illegal journalistic practices forced her to quit. Brooks, who resigned in July as chief executive of News International, Rupert Murdoch's British newspaper division, detailed her close friendships with Cameron, former Prime Minister Tony Blair, and their families, in testimony to the country's inquiry into media ethics.
April 27, 2012 |
LONDON - Rupert Murdoch apologized Thursday for the phone-hacking scandal that has tarnished his global media empire, declaring: "The buck stops with me. " But he also blamed underlings at News Corp. for keeping him in the dark and trying to keep a lid on evidence of widespread hacking at the News of the World tabloid, which he shut down in July when the scandal broke wide open. On his second day testifying before a British judicial inquiry on media ethics, the Australian-born tycoon said he had spent "hundreds of millions of dollars" on the legal fallout of the hacking allegations and on cleaning up his newspapers.
April 3, 2012 |
'THE BIG MISS," indeed. It did not have to be. Hank Haney's book about Tiger Woods did not have to further diminish the most significant athlete alive. It did not have to paint Woods as detestable. It did not need to depict Haney as a spurned sycophant, now turned disloyal and petty. That is what it does. On the eve of the Masters, where Tiger once reigned and where, revived, he could again, Haney and his publishers decided to release 247 pages of revenge.
March 14, 2012 |
LONDON - Police investigating Britain's phone-hacking scandal swooped down on a number of homes in an early-morning raid Tuesday and arrested six people, including a woman widely identified as Rebekah Brooks, the former head of Rupert Murdoch's British newspapers. Scotland Yard said five men and the woman were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, a more serious charge than phone hacking. That suggests that the authorities' probe into the scandal has broadened to include an investigation into a possible cover-up by employees and executives at Murdoch-owned News International.
February 9, 2012 |
LONDON - Rupert Murdoch's News International has settled nearly all the cases against the company in the first wave of lawsuits for phone hacking by its journalists, with a new round of apologies and payouts announced Wednesday in a London court. But a potentially damaging claim lodged by British singer Charlotte Church is still headed to trial later this month and a wave of new lawsuits - as many as 56 in all - is looming, lawyers told London's High Court. News International, a division of News Corp., has tried hard to keep the phone-hacking cases from going to trial, launching its own compensation program and paying out millions of pounds in out-of-court settlements.
February 5, 2012
"After extensive deliberations with the board, I recommended to them that I was no longer the right person to lead Sunoco as it progresses to the next phase of its future. " - Lynn L. Elsenhans, announcing she will step down as chief executive officer of Sunoco Inc. after leading the Philadelphia company in winding down its oil-refining businesses. "She was brought here to do something, she did it, and now she's going. I know a couple thousand people who wouldn't mind helping her pack.