June 5, 1996 |
Sure the Henry Bonsall School in Camden was a primary day polling place, but the decorating must go on for a school musical. Preparing the stage were Dritner Ball (on ladder) and Daphne Miller (to his right), while election inspector Margaret Hunt awaited voters.
February 14, 2012 |
BRIGANTINE, N.J. - Experts said Monday that they did not know whether the recent deaths of three dolphins found along the Jersey Shore were related. Officials with the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine were notified Sunday afternoon about a common dolphin that was trapped between the rungs of a ladder underneath a dock in the Ocean City lagoon. Robert Schoelkopf, director of the center, said it appeared that the dolphin got caught in the ladder, the Atlantic City Press reported.
May 11, 2004
So now Mayor Street wants to make drastic cuts to the Fire Department. These cuts will cause more loss of lives and property. Firefighters risk their lives every day. Here in Frankford, Engine 14/Ladder 15, at Foulkrod and Darrah, has given residents fine service for so many years. We depend on this company. So think before you leap. Bernice D. Hall, Philadelphia
December 5, 1992 |
The remarkable aspect of the company Christmas tree that Bob Grow sets up each year isn't its shape or species. It's the lofty perch, atop a Connelly Containers water tower next to the Schuylkill Expressway. That's a 150-foot climb on a ladder for Grow, his balance tested by the 140-pound tree tied to his back. He's missed making the climb only once since 1987.
September 29, 2013 |
NUMEROUS Philly firefighters were in the unusual position yesterday of having to douse furious flames at their own building. An ambulance inexplicably caught fire inside the headquarters for Ladder 2, at 4th and Arch streets, shortly after 11:30 a.m., filling the Old City firehouse with a blanket of black smoke. "It's not something that you see often," said Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers. Two medics called for help after trying unsuccessfully to put out the fire, which appeared to have started in the engine, with an extinguisher, Ayers said.
April 25, 2006 |
Four firefighters and a battalion chief were rushed to the hospital after they were shocked, likely by downed electrical wires, as they were fighting a three-alarm blaze in West Philadelphia early yesterday. Two of the injured were admitted for overnight treatment. The other three were treated and released, Executive Fire Chief Daniel Williams said. Authorities ruled out lightning as the cause and said they believed the shock was caused by live wires that had fallen during the fire and came in contact with a ladder truck.
May 27, 1987 |
A 1 1/2-year-old boy died of smoke inhalation and his 4-year-old brother was in critical condition yesterday after firefighters and neighbors rescued them from their burning home in Gibbstown, police said. The younger boy, Thomas Bohanna, was pronounced dead at 2:45 a.m. at Crozer-Chester Medical Center in Upland, Pa., after being taken unconscious shortly after midnight from a second-floor bedroom of his family's home on Tomlin Station Road. Police Chief Joseph Giordano said the boy's brother, James Bohanna Jr., had no pulse when he was rescued from the bedroom but responded to mouth-to- mouth and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.