October 1, 2015
A caption Tuesday with a photo of a demonstration at the offices of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia by the Survivors Network for Those Abused by Priests incorrectly identified Marci Hamilton. She is a lawyer and is not a member of SNAP.
April 4, 2013 |
A husband and wife from central Pennsylvania filed suit in Bucks County Court on Wednesday, claiming that the woman was abused by a priest from the Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa in Doylestown, and that the Philadelphia Archdiocese, the shrine, and its priests, the Pauline Fathers, allowed the priest to flee to Poland after she reported the incident. The suit claims the Rev. Marek Lacki befriended the couple - parents of eight children - at a weekend retreat in March 2012, then encouraged the wife to visit the shrine for private counseling.
May 10, 2011 |
An Arizona man on Monday sued the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, saying church officials allegedly protected a sexually abusive priest who he said molested him at his Northeast Philadelphia parish and caused him years of psychiatric problems. Identified by his attorneys only as a 32-year-old named Matthew, the man claims in the suit that he was abused as a teenager in 1993 and 1994 by the Rev. Robert L. Brennan when the priest was assigned to Resurrection of Our Lord Parish on Vista Street.
March 5, 2011 |
Lawyers say they will file a new lawsuit Monday accusing the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, its leaders, and employees of conspiracy and fraud for failing to help a former sacristan who claimed he was abused by a priest. The claim would be the second of its kind since a Philadelphia grand jury last month charged four priests with molesting boys or concealing the attacks, and said archdiocesean attempts at reform had fallen short. "This is yet another case in which the victim's assistance program didn't really do what it was supposed to do," said Marci Hamilton, one of the lawyers for the plaintiff.
March 4, 2011 |
Lawyers say they will file a new lawsuit Monday accusing Archdiocese of Philadelphia, its leaders and employees of conspiracy and fraud for failing to help a former young sacristan who claimed he was abused by a priest. The claim would be the second of its kind since a Philadelphia grand jury last month charged four priests with molesting boys or concealing the attacks, and said the archdiocese attempts to reform had fallen short. "This is yet another case in which the victim's assistance program didn't really do what it was supposed to do," said Marci Hamilton, one of the lawyers for the plaintiff.
August 4, 2005
The kids are not all right. And it's the grown-ups' fault. In the Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia, many children were abused by predators into whose pastoral care they were placed. Then the children were failed by church higher-ups who ignored and, in some instances, helped hide reports of abuse by moving clergy without alerting authorities. Now it appears that these victims have been failed by the legal system. That's the disheartening disclosure from a Philadelphia grand jury investigating sex abuse by Roman Catholic clergy.
December 28, 2013 |
Advocates for victims of clergy sex abuse said Thursday that the dismissal of Msgr. William Lynn's conviction on child-endangerment charges was nothing short of a travesty of justice. "What a disgrace," Marita Green, president of the Philadelphia chapter of the Voice of the Faithful, a group of activist Catholics, said in a statement. "I don't care whose 'orders' Lynn followed, whether [Cardinals] Bevilaqua's, Krol's, or even O'Hara's. It is appalling that the laws in the state of Pennsylvania have been so ineffective that none of these enablers, facilitators, and cover-upers have gone to jail.
March 17, 2011 |
A 49-year-old postal carrier from Delaware County on Wednesday became the third man in a month to contend in a lawsuit that he was abused by a priest as a child and ignored by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia as an adult victim. Frank Finnegan's case faces unique hurdles: His allegation is four decades old, the priest died in 1996 and had never before been publicly accused, and Finnegan said he only recently had remembered the abuse. However, the lawsuit, filed in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court, underscores the barrage of potentially costly civil battles the archdiocese could face after last month's grand jury report on clergy sex abuse.
April 8, 2013 |
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput has permanently removed three more parish priests from public ministry over claims of sexual abuse or misconduct around minors, including one whose accuser killed himself in 2009, allegedly after church officials first declared his claim unsubstantiated. That priest, the Rev. Joseph J. Gallagher, has been deemed "unsuitable for ministry due to violations" of church standards, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced Sunday. A second priest, the Rev. Mark Gaspar, was removed for the same reason, officials said.