December 7, 2012 |
WASHINGTON - The top federal prosecutor in New Orleans, the longest-serving U.S. attorney in the country, resigned Thursday amid an investigation into possible prosecutorial misconduct by two of his top deputies. Jim Letten, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Louisiana, announced his resignation at a news conference. In an emotional speech, he praised the office and said he would stay on briefly to help with the transition to new leadership. The resignation comes eight months into a scandal that led to a Justice Department investigation of Letten's top deputy and a second veteran prosecutor in connection with anonymous online criticism of the target of a federal inquiry.
October 25, 2012 |
Colwyn police Cpl. Trevor Parham was acquitted today of simple assault and official oppression for Tasering a 16-year-old boy who was shackled to a bench in a holding cell. Delaware County Common Pleas Judge Kevin F. Kelly said that regardless of whether Parham's actions were appropriate in a civil or departmental context, they did not rise to the level of criminal misconduct. Much of the testimony during the two-day trial - for which Parham, 40, waived his right to a jury - centered on departmental policies on arrest and use of force.
August 3, 2012 |
HARRISBURG - A senior state senator faces allegations that he violated rules of professional conduct for lawyers while working for a Utah-based company that helps find heirs to people who died without leaving a will. The Supreme Court's Disciplinary Board this week scheduled an October trial in the case of Dauphin County Republican Sen. Jeff Piccola, a 35-year legislative veteran and Education Committee chair. According to a 72-page complaint filed June 29 by the Office of Disciplinary Counsel, Piccola's violations include a rule that prohibits dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation.
July 27, 2012 |
A Chester County district judge has been suspended for a month without pay for giving her son preferential treatment and lying about it. Rita A. Arnold will start her suspension Wednesday, followed by two years of probation, the state Court of Judicial Discipline ruled Tuesday. Arnold could not be reached for comment Wednesday. The ruling by an eight-judge panel concluded an 18-month investigation of a case that started with a fight between two of Arnold's sons on Jan. 19, 2010.
July 8, 2012 |
Philadelphia Archbishop Charles J. Chaput has removed two more priests accused of misconduct with minors and restored four to ministry. The six are among the 26 Catholic priests whom the archdiocese placed on administrative leave last year following a Philadelphia grand jury investigation into clergy sex abuse and misconduct involving children. In an announcement Friday, the archdiocese disclosed that a 16-month investigation by a team it had created found that the Rev. John Bowe, 64, and the Rev. David Givey, 68, had violated "standards of ministerial behavior and boundaries.
June 16, 2012 |
Saying it has "zero tolerance for misconduct in the workplace," the federal Transportation Security Administration, which oversees passenger screening at airports, is seeking to dismiss seven Philadelphia workers. The seven are among 10 employees who were suspended in November 2011 from security duties at Philadelphia International Airport, pending an investigation into allegations of payoffs for passing grades in annual proficiency tests. In February, training instructor Shannon Gilliam, of Sharon Hill, pleaded guilty in federal court to taking a $200 bribe from a security officer.
May 24, 2012 |
WASHINGTON - Senators investigating the Secret Service prostitution scandal said Wednesday that dozens of reported episodes of misconduct by agents point to a culture of carousing in the agency and urged Director Mark Sullivan to get past his insistence that the romp in Cartagena was a one-time mistake. The disconnect between the senators and Sullivan reappeared again and again throughout the two-hour hearing, even as the Secret Service chief for the first time apologized for the incident that tarnished the elite presidential protection force.
May 6, 2012 |
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput said Friday that he had permanently removed five priests from active ministry for sexual abuse or misconduct with minors, and reinstated three others after an investigation could not substantiate similar claims against them. The decisions, which followed a 14-month review, marked one of the largest ousters of active priests in the archdiocese's history. It also validated a February 2011 grand jury report that accused local church leaders of ignoring evidence of clergy sex abuse and stirred new outrage among area Catholics.
May 3, 2012 |
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput plans to meet Wednesday with hundreds of Archdiocese of Philadelphia priests, stirring hopes that he may announce the fates of nearly two dozen clergy suspended last year over child sex-abuse or misconduct allegations. The e-mail invitation sent to priests Monday did not disclose the purpose of the afternoon gathering at Cardinal O'Hara High School in Springfield, Delaware County. Archdiocesan officials did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.