January 27, 2014 |
The Philadelphia Sports Writers Association will hold its 110th banquet on Monday at the Crowne Plaza in Cherry Hill, and for the first time, a high school team will be given a special achievement award. And while the wait has taken more than a century, the association couldn't have selected a more accomplished program. The honored team will be the field hockey squad from Eastern. You might have heard about the Vikings over the last decade and a half, when they have become not only a dominant New Jersey team but a national power, as well.
January 19, 2014 |
Question: My daughter and her 5-year-old sleep in a bedroom with a hardwood floor, filled with clothing and stuffed animals. She recently added a small table-top air filter and a humidifier that she activates every night, putting a half-gallon of water into the air in a 12-hour period. I already have a whole-house humidifier on the furnace, and I am concerned that she is going to cause a mold or mildew problem in the room, in addition to the unfinished attic and possibly adjoining bedrooms.
January 17, 2014 |
EVERY ONCE in a while, Sixers coach Brett Brown feels the need to whet his appetite. For the past 12 seasons as a member of the San Antonio Spurs' staff, Brown was fed a steady diet of 50-plus wins a season, deep runs into the playoffs and four NBA titles. Now that he is overseeing an organization entrenched in reconstruction, he needs to find something to keep his sanity. Looking back at highlights of his championship years won't do it, as that might just lend itself to a bout of depression over what he left behind.
January 9, 2014 |
WEST CHESTER After 14 months of intermittent closures due to a kitchen fire and mold problems, Chester County's largest senior center is about to get a financial hand from the county. The county commissioners said Tuesday that they wanted to pay for the hiring of legal counsel to help the Downingtown Area Senior Center deal with what it says are unresponsive property owners with whom it shares a mold-affected wall. The center, which serves about 1,800 people annually, has the largest service area of the county's six senior centers.
December 25, 2013 |
CHELTENHAM In one of the region's wealthier and high-ranking school districts, administrators and parents seemed to be caught off guard this year by a demon hiding right under their noses - mold. The Cheltenham Township school board voted last week to shut down Cedarbrook Middle School in early 2014, scattering about 750 students to four locations across the Montgomery County district. But the problem is common in older school districts - and wasn't a total surprise in Cheltenham: Administrators and board members have known about mold problems since soon after the school was built, in 1970.
December 18, 2013 |
CHELTENHAM Cheltenham School District officials announced a plan Monday to close Cedarbrook Middle School as early as Jan. 27, splitting its 750 students among four other campuses in the township. The school board will vote Tuesday night on a contract with Gratz College to house half of Cedarbrook's students. The school is split into six teams, each with about 125 students. Two eighth-grade teams and one seventh-grade team will go to Gratz. One seventh-grade team will go to Elkins Park Elementary, and another to Cheltenham Elementary.
November 11, 2013 |
When Amy Schlein Kaufman steps into Lowell Elementary School in Philadelphia's Olney section, her eyes water, her nose runs, and the sneezing begins. After years of teaching there, she is accustomed to carrying tissues. But with respiratory ailments affecting as many as 10 Lowell teachers, she worries that the century-old building may simply be unhealthy. A former colleague at Lowell, art teacher Joyce Harris, shares that concern. Last school year, Harris, 48, said she felt sick almost every day on the job - something she blames on "black mold" that was found in a storage area next to her basement classroom just as the year ended.
November 4, 2013 |
It's furry. It's thirsty. And it may well be lurking in your basement, causing allergies and asthma. It's mold. Mold is varied and ubiquitous. While many molds are our friends - without it, there would be no pinot noir or penicillin - the stuff that grows in damp areas of buildings is not. Bottom line: "It is not healthy to live or work or go to school in an environment that is grossly moldy," said University of Pennsylvania environmental physician and toxicologist Marilyn Howarth.
October 24, 2013 |
Cheltenham residents suggested Tuesday that the school district raze the township's moldy middle school and move Cedarbrook students to a new building. "My option would be to take down that building," Elizabeth "Betty" Cataldi said to applause at a packed public meeting at the district's administration building. Cataldi, 69, a former Cheltenham school board member, was one of nearly 100 people who listened to district officials mull over four potential contingency plans addressing the school's chronic mold issue.
October 13, 2013 |
CHELTENHAM The Cheltenham School District could abandon Cedarbrook Middle School as early as January because of mold, officials said Friday. By Monday, the problem will have closed 11 classrooms and the cafeteria at the school in Wyncote, where 700 students attend seventh and eighth grades. The district is considering four options to address the issue, three of which involve moving students to another location while a new school is built. The fourth option is to refurbish the 62-classroom school 10 rooms at a time.