IN THE NEWS

Nfl

NEWS
June 16, 2014 | By Aubrey Whelan, Inquirer Staff Writer
Shots were fired at former Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison early Saturday, law enforcement officials said, after a man whose Wynnefield Heights apartment had just been broken into flagged him down for help. No one was injured, police said. The shooting happened in the 4000 block of Ford Road about 3:20 a.m., police said. A resident of an apartment building on that block told police he had been sleeping when he heard someone kicking in the back door of his apartment, then saw two men enter.
SPORTS
June 6, 2014 | BY TOM MAHON, Daily News Staff Writer mahont@phillynews.com
NFL COMMISSIONER Roger Goodell isn't going to like this: Variety reports that West Philly native Will Smith will star in a film about concussions in professional football. The news comes a week after another group of former NFL players filed a complaint in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia claiming the league knowingly failed to inform them there was a link between concussions and long-term health problems. That came on the heels of a class action - also filed in Philly - in which a $765 million settlement, reached by the league and former players last August, was declined by a judge who said it wasn't enough money to last over the 65-year span of the suit.
SPORTS
June 5, 2014 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
First, he was suing the NFL. Now, he's not. Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino said Tuesday he will withdraw his lawsuit against the league over concussion-related injuries, a day after The Inquirer reported he had filed a claim in federal court in Philadelphia. In a statement, Marino, 52, said he has not developed any symptoms of long-term injury as a result of head trauma sustained during his 17 seasons with the Miami Dolphins. And he said he had not realized he would be listed as a plaintiff in ongoing litigation.
SPORTS
June 4, 2014 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
Dan Marino, the Hall of Fame quarterback for the Miami Dolphins and one of the NFL's highest-profile alums, has joined the ranks of former players suing the league over concussion-related injuries. In court filings late last week, Marino, 52, claimed that league officials had long been aware of the long-term effects of repeated hits to the head but chose to ignore those warnings and put players' health at risk. But unlike some of the more than 5,000 ex-players who have filed suit in federal court in Philadelphia, Marino did not specify any explicit condition with which he has struggled in his post-football career.
SPORTS
June 4, 2014 | By Zach Berman, Inquirer Staff Writer
LeSean McCoy is not backing down from his claim that he's the best running back in the NFL, and he is willing to stack his merits against those of Minnesota's Adrian Peterson. "Especially the last three years," McCoy said. "Check the numbers. " In the last three seasons, Peterson rushed for 4,333 yards on 5.2 yards per carry, with 34 touchdowns. He also had 87 catches for 527 yards and three touchdowns. McCoy rushed for 3,756 yards on 4.8 yards per carry and 28 touchdowns, with 154 receptions for 1,227 yards and eight TDs. The McCoy-Peterson discussion started when McCoy said during an ESPN interview earlier this spring that he was the league's top running back.
SPORTS
June 4, 2014 | By Mike Sielski, Inquirer Columnist
It doesn't take much for LeSean McCoy to notice the value and importance of the running back position withering around the NFL, and it takes even less for him to rage against it. The sport is built around the quarterback and the passing game and the best ways to stop a quarterback and his passing game. No team has selected a running back in the first round of either of the last two NFL drafts. A tailback might sign a boffo extension, then find himself released before the contract ends, thanks to advancing age and declining production, because the perception these days is that, relatively speaking, even an excellent running back is easily replaced.
SPORTS
May 29, 2014 | By Rich Hofmann, Daily News Staff Writer
THE EAGLES opened their almighty OTAs yesterday but the session was closed to the media. And who said there is no God? OTA: organized team activity. If that term sounds a bit legalistic, that is because it is a bit legalistic. It comes from the collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners, a document that now circumscribes what can and cannot be done by an NFL player during the offseason and does it in impressive detail. From the end of the season to the start of training camp, everything is accounted for except the timing of the players' bathroom breaks.
SPORTS
May 24, 2014 | By Mike Sielski, Inquirer Columnist
The NFL announced on Tuesday that Minneapolis and the Minnesota Vikings' as-yet-unfinished football stadium would host Super Bowl LII in 2018, and this created two potential problems, one of which affects the Eagles. The first problem is that, with hundreds of thousands of people flocking to town for the game, the likelihood that someone's left ear will freeze, fall off, and be lost forever in a snow bank has increased far beyond what is customary for Minneapolis in late January and early February.
SPORTS
May 23, 2014 | By Rich Hofmann, Daily News Columnist
A LONG, LONG time ago, an Eagles player - one of those freakishly cut offensive linemen from back then, with no body fat at all - lost his mind on the practice field, just attacking everybody he could reach. It was quite a scene, a classic 'roid-rage incident. The next day, the club told reporters that they weren't sure, but they thought it might have been some kind of allergic reaction to a bee sting, and we all wrote it down and put it in the paper the next day. We were such idiots.
NEWS
May 22, 2014 | By Amy S. Rosenberg, Inquirer Staff Writer
Superior Court staff in Atlantic County will join Baltimore Ravens fans and fantasy football leagues in keeping an eye on running back Ray Rice for at least the next year. Rice, 27, was approved Tuesday for a pretrial program designed to lead to dismissal of an assault charge stemming from an altercation with his then-fiancee in a Revel Casino Hotel elevator Feb. 15. Rice will have to complete at least 12 months of a supervised program that will likely require counseling, employment, and staying out of trouble.
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next »
|
|
|
|
|