January 11, 1994 |
Hampered by slippery footing, firefighters took four hours early yesterday morning to put out a fire on West Valley Road that broke out in the remains of a home just hours after another blaze had damaged it. George Hitchens, 62, who lived with his daughter and grandson in the two- story home in the 600 block of West Valley Road, Wayne, was trying to light an oil burner in his basement when it exploded about 8:30 p.m. Sunday, igniting the first...
July 9, 1996 |
On a Broadway Avenue corner, a seafood restaurant looks burned out, but it's not. Wooden boards hang unceremoniously on the outside of the building, dirty off-white paint is cracking, a neon Bud Light sign flashes through a high, narrow window. A few doors down, a sign that should say "oil burner supplies" reads only "oil burner" because the bottom neon lighting is out. Across the street, at an auto repair shop, a past coat of green paint shows through the more recent but fading white veneer.
October 4, 1987 |
After being denied permission in June to build a two-story garage and woodworking shop for commercial use on his residential property, an East Brandywine man has received approval of a modified version of his original plan. The East Brandywine Township Zoning Hearing Board voted, 3-0, on Wednesday to grant a zoning variance to James A. Sack of the 1600 block of Bondsville Road. Sack won approval of his plans by agreeing to a list of stipulations set by the board and its solicitor.
January 17, 1990 |
Three elderly Camden County residents whose bodies were discovered last weekend in two separate incidents died from hypothermia, the Camden County Prosecutor's Office said yesterday. Autopsies performed Monday at the Camden County Medical Examiner's Office in Pennsauken showed that a Pennsauken couple and a Somerdale man had frozen to death at undetermined dates. Frank Mohan, 68, of the 400 block of South Browning Avenue in Somerdale, was found outdoors near his home shortly before 9 a.m. Sunday by a neighbor on his way to the store to buy a newspaper.
February 9, 1994 |
June Hough remembers the morning of Feb. 9, 1934, the coldest in city history. More than 150 fires raged. One of them ravaged her house, at 4108 Unruh St., Tacony. Sixty years later, Miss June, 83, still lives there. But the house is now two stories; the third floor was never rebuilt after the fire. A widow now, she refers to the house as a museum and has filled it with hundreds of pictures. She was just 23 then, a vaudeville dancer and singer, home from touring with her husband, Horace.
December 28, 2015 |
I answered an insulation question in this column not too long ago, and Joe Ponessa sent me an email in late November about it. "I don't think you gave enough attention to the issue of combustion [makeup] air," said Ponessa, professor emeritus of housing, indoor environment, and health at Rutgers Cooperative Extension. Ponessa agreed that the limited work I described did not sound as if it would cause a problem for "atmospheric" combustion appliances, which derive their air from the surrounding environment.
September 15, 1992 |
Services will be held Friday for Tereen "Tony" Hart, the teen-aged baby sitter who was slain Sunday inside his cousin's West Philadelphia row home. Hart, 16, was found shot to death in the second-floor bedroom of a home on Springfield Avenue near 57th Street. He was shot three times in the back of the head and once in the right wrist. The 18-month-old baby he was watching slept through the incident unaware. Tony Hart was a quiet youngster who had endless patience - and love - for children.
February 13, 1994 |
A fire that swept through an unheated West Philadelphia home killed four people early yesterday, including two children. Residents in the neighborhood claim that the home was unfit to live in, and that city officials ignored their ongoing requests to condemn it. The one-alarm blaze in the 5000 block of Cedar Avenue began about 12:55 a.m., and when firefighters arrived, flames were spreading across the second and third floors of the three-story twin....
February 9, 1997 |
A nightmare drawn from the pages of home-buying history: The home inspector couldn't start the furnace, but it was a 95-degree July day, so don't worry, he said reassuringly. His inspection report indicated that the circa-1910 boiler, converted to oil from coal around VE Day, appeared to be in good working order. But, he warned, the buyer might want to consider a new furnace sometime down the road. The lender, too, required proof that the system worked properly before the mortgage would be approved.
January 26, 1987 |
For one month, Doloris Smith said yesterday, the 275-gallon heating-oil tank in the basement of her home in the city's Allegheny West section sat empty. She tried to get by, conserving her money to pay an outstanding water bill, a $300 electric bill, a $100 gas bill and two mortgage payments. She kept her gas oven at 300 degrees, ran two electric heaters and covered her sun porch with a big green cloth. Her daughter and three grandchildren wore sweaters. The situation was not a good one, but the family "got used to it," said one of the children, Luveater Smith, 6. Her brother, Kapus, 9, said, "I try not to think about it. I keep pulling covers all over me. " Finally, with Saturday's bitterly cold wind ripping through the air holes in windows and doors throughout her two-story rowhouse, Smith, 50, said she could wait no longer.