CollectionsPriest
IN THE NEWS

Priest

NEWS
March 8, 2014 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
A Philadelphia jury is to resume deliberations Friday in the case against the Rev. Andrew McCormick, a Catholic priest charged with sexually assaulting a 10-year-old altar boy at a Bridesburg parish in 1997. The jury of nine women and three men spent three hours Thursday reviewing the evidence before going home. McCormick, 57, is charged with sexual assault, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault, child endangerment, and corruption of a minor. Earlier Thursday, the jury - and a packed courtroom - heard emotional closings by defense lawyer William J. Brennan Jr. and Assistant District Attorney Kristen Kemp.
NEWS
March 7, 2014 | BY MENSAH M. DEAN, Daily News Staff Writer deanm@phillynews.com, 215-568-8278
THE PHILADELPHIA Catholic priest on trial for allegedly molesting an altar boy in 1997 was suspended from ministry in 2011 after he twice gave deceptive answers during polygraph tests when asked about touching children's genitals, a prosecutor said yesterday. The revelation about the Rev. Andrew McCormick, 57, was made in court by Assistant District Attorney Kristen Kemp. It was made following the closing arguments by defense lawyer William J. Brennan and after the jury had been escorted from the room.
NEWS
March 7, 2014 | BY MENSAH M. DEAN, Daily News Staff Writer deanm@phillynews.com, 215-568-8278
HIS FACE turning red yesterday, the Rev. Andrew McCormick turned toward the nine women and three men who will decide his fate and blurted out: "I want the jury to know that I never molested [a former altar boy]. I want to convince you of that. " Moments later, when asked by defense lawyer William J. Brennan if he had ever molested any of the estimated 700 altar boys he came in contact with over 14 years at a Bridesburg church, McCormick, 57, was succinct: "Never," he said, bringing his lawyer's brief questioning to a sudden conclusion.
NEWS
March 7, 2014 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
Accused Catholic priest the Rev. Andrew McCormick took the witness stand in his defense Wednesday and denied molesting any altar boys, telling a Philadelphia Common Pleas Court jury: "I want to convince you of that. " Agitated and blushing, at times talking over questions from his lawyer and the prosecutor, McCormick, 57, denied the allegation by a 26-year-old man, who said the priest sexually assaulted him in 1997 when he was a 10-year-old altar boy at St. John Cantius in Bridesburg.
NEWS
March 6, 2014 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
After three days of prosecution testimony, the sexual-assault trial of Catholic priest Andrew McCormick moves to the defense Wednesday with the priest's lawyers saying they have not decided whether their client will testify. On Tuesday, Assistant District Attorney Kristen Kemp completed her case in a day dominated by a former Bridesburg altar boy's conflicted testimony about his relationship with McCormick. Adam Visconto, now 27, told the Common Pleas Court jury that McCormick was an influential spiritual mentor at St. John Cantius parish in Bridesburg.
NEWS
March 1, 2014 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
Ten years old, trying to accept his homosexuality and cope with his parents' imminent breakup, the young man was thrilled when "Father Andy" asked him to be an altar boy. "I thought it was great, I thought he was like my friend," said the now 26-year-old man. And it was great, until one night after an evening Mass in December 1997, when, he said, the Rev. Andrew McCormick took him to his bedroom in the rectory, undressed him, and tried to force...
NEWS
February 28, 2014 | BY DANA DiFILIPPO & MENSAH M. DEAN, Daily News Staff Writers difilid@phillynews.com, 215-854-5934
THE LATEST young man to accuse a Philadelphia Catholic priest of molesting him as an altar boy told a jury yesterday that the experience so badly shocked, embarrassed and debilitated him that he turned to drugs, alcohol and multiple suicide attempts before reaching his teens. The slim man, dressed in a white shirt, black tie and slacks, emotionally spoke of being 10 years old in 1997 when the Rev. Andrew McCormick invited him to the priest's rectory bedroom at St. John Cantius Church in Bridesburg.
NEWS
February 26, 2014 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
A Philadelphia judge on Monday barred prosecution and defense lawyers from making public comments during the upcoming trial of the Rev. Andrew McCormick, the Catholic priest accused of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old altar boy at a Northeast Philadelphia church in 1997. Common Pleas Court Judge Gwendolyn N. Bright issued the gag order after a pretrial hearing began dealing with sensitive evidentiary issues, and she granted a defense motion to go behind closed doors. Jury selection begins Tuesday in the trial of the 57-year-old priest on five counts involving sexual assault, child endangerment, and corrupting minors in an incident that allegedly occurred when McCormick was a priest at St. John Cantius Church in Bridesburg.
NEWS
February 25, 2014 | BY WILLIAM BENDER, Daily News Staff Writer benderw@phillynews.com, 215-854-5255
WHEN THE REV. John P. Paul resigned as pastor of Our Lady of Calvary Parish in November, the 67-year-old priest told his congregation that he was considering a serious road trip for "renewal" purposes. "If possible, I would like to study spirituality at Bellarmine University, in Louisville, KY . . . make a retreat in Assisi, Italy, and work with Fr. Mike in Malawi, Africa," Paul wrote in the church bulletin. He might have more time on his hands than he'd first anticipated. Yesterday, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced that Archbishop Charles Chaput has found Paul unsuitable for ministry because of at least one substantiated allegation that he sexually abused a 17-year-old more than 40 years ago. The Rev. James J. Collins also was deemed unsuitable for ministry based on a similar substantiated allegation.
NEWS
February 24, 2014 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput has permanently removed two more priests from ministry for substantiated claims of sexual abuse, including one who was allowed to keep working in his Northeast Philadelphia parish for nearly a year after accusations were first lodged against him. It was only after several fresh allegations surfaced late last year against the Rev. John P. Paul, formerly of Our Lady of Calvary Parish, that the archdiocese suspended him...
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next »
|
|
|
|
|