CollectionsProbation
IN THE NEWS

Probation

NEWS
December 22, 2014 | By Robert Moran, Inquirer Staff Writer
In 1984, Diane DeBarri, a Bucks County native, was convicted of federal drug charges and sentenced to 90 days in prison. Since then, she has more than turned her life around, rising to be chief executive officer and chairman of the Kintock Group, a nonprofit that runs halfway houses and counseling programs in Philadelphia and New Jersey and employs 300 people. But she was haunted by the conviction. "I think I wanted some closure in my life," said DeBarri, 61, of Fairless Hills.
NEWS
December 20, 2014 | By Chris Palmer and Jessica Parks, Inquirer Staff Writers
As they review Bradley Stone's deadly rampage Monday, Montgomery County investigators said they do not know why the Marine veteran - who had three DUI arrests, a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder, and a bitter custody dispute over his two daughters - was not stripped of his guns as required under the terms of his probation. "We don't know the answers" yet, Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman acknowledged in an e-mail Thursday. She said the investigation was continuing.
NEWS
November 15, 2014 | BY WILL BUNCH, Daily News Staff Writer bunchw@phillynews.com, 215-854-2957
A LONGTIME close ally of disgraced ex-state Sen. Vince Fumo cut a deal with prosecutors and won't be going to prison for his role in a political-corruption scandal at the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. Mitchell Rubin, the Philadelphia political insider who once chaired the turnpike panel, will get two years' probation after pleading guilty yesterday in Harrisburg to a misdemeanor charge. Dauphin County Common Pleas Judge Richard Lewis also ordered Rubin - the husband of Fumo's onetime close aide Ruth Arnao - to pay a $2,500 fine and perform 100 hours of community service, after he pleaded guilty to one count of commercial bribery.
NEWS
November 1, 2014 | BY MENSAH M. DEAN, Daily News Staff Writer deanm@phillynews.com, 215-568-8278
A FORMER CITY Council secretary who had been charged with stealing more than $30,000 in Social Security payments from an elderly woman was sentenced yesterday to four years probation. Nancy Gonzalez, 54, showed no emotion and did not speak during the brief hearing before Common Pleas Judge Frank Palumbo. She pleaded guilty to two counts of theft and one count of tampering with public records. As part of her sentence, which was negotiated with the District Attorney's Office, Gonzalez must pay $15,394 to her victim, Iris Galarza, 92, and must cooperate with the prosecution of her codefendant and former boyfriend, William Galarza, 56. Galarza, the great nephew of Iris Galarza, was arrested earlier this month, according to court records.
NEWS
November 1, 2014 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
A City Council aide who admitted stealing almost $25,000 in Social Security benefits from an elderly, infirm Kensington woman was sentenced Thursday to four years of probation and ordered to repay the money. Nancy Gonzalez, 54, said nothing before she was sentenced by Common Pleas Court Judge Frank Palumbo on her guilty plea from last year to eight counts involving theft of the benefits of 90-year-old Iris Galarza. Assistant District Attorney Michael Bonner said part of Gonzalez's plea agreement and sentence required her to cooperate in the prosecution of her alleged accomplice, William Galarza, a great-nephew of the victim.
NEWS
October 29, 2014 | BY JULIE SHAW, Daily News Staff Writer shawj@phillynews.com, 215-854-2592
THE CO-OWNER of a Frankford auto-body shop who pleaded guilty to bribing a police dispatcher for information in the tow-truck business was sentenced yesterday to three years of probation. William Cheeseman, 43, of Delran, N.J., was ordered by U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno to spend the first six months under electronically monitored home confinement. The judge said Cheeseman may leave his home to go to work, for medical appointments or for religious reasons. Robreno also barred Cheeseman from the towing business in Philadelphia during his probation, but did not prohibit him from doing other work.
NEWS
October 26, 2014 | By Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Writer
Former Philadelphia mob boss Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino's new gig as maitre d' and host of a Boca Raton, Fla., restaurant that bears his name will have to wait four months. That's the sentence a federal judge gave Merlino, 52, on Friday for violating terms of his supervised release on a 2001 racketeering conviction. U.S. District Judge R. Barclay Surrick ruled that Merlino violated the terms of his release in a June 18 meeting at a Boca Raton cigar bar with John Ciancaglini, his former captain in the Philadelphia Mafia, and a codefendant convicted with him in the racketeering trial.
NEWS
October 10, 2014 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
Former Philadelphia mob boss Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino insists he has kept out of trouble since he got out of prison and moved to Florida three years ago. Federal authorities call that story laughable. The 52-year-old ex-don, they alleged in a court filing Wednesday, began violating the terms of his probation within weeks of his 2011 release - meeting with members of La Cosa Nostra even as he was living in a federal halfway house meant to ease the transition back to postprison life.
NEWS
October 8, 2014 | By Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
Lawyers for former Philadelphia mob boss Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino said Monday that "the government is out of time" and urged a federal judge to halt prosecutors' efforts to put their client back behind bars for an alleged probation violation three years after his release from prison. In a filing Monday in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia, attorneys Edwin J. Jacobs Jr. and Michael F. Myers said the 52-year-old ex-don had faithfully complied with all requirements of his postprison supervision and questioned prosecutors' efforts to incarcerate him just as the probationary term was set to end. "For the last three years, Joseph has scrupulously abided by the conditions of his supervised release," the lawyers wrote.
NEWS
October 8, 2014 | BY WILLIAM BENDER, Daily News Staff Writer benderw@phillynews.com, 215-854-5255
SINCE HIS RELEASE from federal prison in 2011, Joey Merlino has been working hard, keeping his nose clean and making monthly restitution payments. He even volunteered with a group that trains teachers who work with children with autism. But he did not violate his probation. That's what Merlino's lawyers, Edwin Jacobs Jr. and Michael F. Myers, wrote in a legal memo filed yesterday, claiming that Merlino has "scrupulously abided" by the terms of his supervised release while living in Florida.
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next »
|
|
|
|
|