September 27, 2013 |
YOU MAY not be able to buy your way into nirvana, but you can buy Kurt Cobain 's childhood home. Complete with his mattress. Ick. Cobain's mother, Wendy O'Connor , is putting the family's 90-year-old, 1.5-story bungalow two hours southwest of Seattle on the market this week. To help sell it, the family is offering a glimpse into Kurt's early life through photos shot at the house, including one of a chocolate-frosted birthday cake for Kurt and a shot of teenage Cobain smiling, guitar in hand, in his messy room.
September 15, 2013 |
DELANCO A haze in the air smells like rotten or charred meat, an unmistakable sign that there was a fire here. Nearly two weeks after an 11-alarm blaze destroyed a Dietz & Watson warehouse in this Burlington County township, some residents are complaining of a stench from spoiled meat and the haze from the still-smoldering fire. A company spokesman said that Dietz & Watson was committed to cleaning up the site and that demolition of the warehouse had started. "My wife told me it smells like hot dogs upstairs.
August 30, 2013
B uzz: Hey Marnie, how come they add such strange ingredients to wine? Marnie: I'm not sure what you mean, Buzz. By definition, wines are made with 100 percent grapes. Buzz: I was reading a bottle label at the store the other day that said the wine had gooseberries and cut grass in it. Marnie: Those weren't ingredients, Buzz. They were wine "descriptors," terms used to describe wine's sensory traits - usually smells. Since there are so few words for aromas, winemakers often compare their wines to foods and other things that have distinctive scents.
August 17, 2013 |
Question: We live in a circa-1890 rowhouse and have a good relationship with the family next door. We were very happy for them when they had central air-conditioning installed three summers ago. The problem: The bedroom where we keep our clothes is next to their bedroom of a heavy smoker. Our wall is brick and plaster and beadboard; their wall is exposed brick. As soon as hot weather arrives and they use their AC, a strong smell of smoke enters our room. Our efforts to deal with this include using a filtered air purifier, closing the bedroom door to keep the smell from spreading throughout the house, employing an air freshener, and taping over an electrical socket.
July 22, 2013 |
Andy Kricun was fresh out of Princeton on the memorably hot day he realized what life was like for neighbors of the Camden County Municipal Utilities Authority. It was 1985, and the Gloucester Township resident was in South Camden for the first time, interviewing for an engineering position at the regional sewage treatment authority. "The odor was horrendous," says Kricun, who got the job, climbed the ladder, and in 2011 became the CCMUA's executive director. "I felt so badly that people in the community had to live with that," he recalls.
June 28, 2013 |
I had a question awhile back from a reader who had a smart meter installed and checks online for usage. The reader reported usage was normal for one or two days, then surged for the next day or two. There is no pattern to the surges. She said it was almost like a timer was turning on. Not realizing the problem dated back several weeks - there is a backlog of hundreds of questions, and I receive 75 to 100 new ones every week - one reader suggested that perhaps, because of the recent heavy rains, the basement dehumidifier was the culprit.
March 29, 2013 |
Janice Sachen of Chicago offers what she says is a sure cure for that cat-urine smell. "My older cat started urinating on the basement floor and she would always go back to the same spot because she could smell the urine. "I tried everything to mask the smell to no avail. Finally I tried peroxide, the regular drugstore kind, although there are stronger concentrations available at chemical supply houses. "I sprayed a full-strength solution on the concrete area, and it neutralized the smell.
February 28, 2013 |
A tenant in a Haddon Heights building that exploded Saturday because of a natural gas leak told authorities that she had smelled gas four hours earlier in her apartment, a spokesman for the Camden County Prosecutor's Office said Tuesday. The tenant, who was rushing out of her unit when she smelled the gas, told investigators about the odor after the explosion and fire that leveled the house around 3:30 p.m. Jason Laughlin, the spokesman, could not immediately say what floor the tenant - who was not home at the time of the explosion - lived on. Raquel Nunn, 26, who lived on the third floor, suffered burns over 60 percent of her body in the blast, which authorities said was fueled by a leaking natural gas line to an appliance on the second floor and triggered when Nunn turned on her stove.
February 20, 2013 |
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Cadaver dogs were searching the smoldering remains of a Kansas City restaurant that burned to the ground Tuesday night after a gas explosion and huge blaze at the upscale Country Club Plaza shopping area, a fire official said. At least 15 people were injured. Kansas City Fire Chief Paul Berardi said late Tuesday that the search for possible victims could take hours and that he expected his crews to be at the scene through the night. While officials have said they had no reports of fatalities, Berardi said: "I would always fear there are fatalities in a scene like this.
November 9, 2012
By James Brobyn If you asked me what I remember most about my time as a Marine in Iraq, my answer would probably surprise you. More than anything, I remember the smells. To this day, I can still smell the aromas of Iraqi towns and foods, which trigger fond memories of exploring a new culture with my fellow Marines. And I can recall the less pleasant smells of hydraulic fluid leaking from my light-armored vehicle, and of a platoon of Marines who hadn't showered for 45 days. And then there are the sinister odors of dead and decaying bodies, blended with the strangely sweet smell of explosive residue.