December 4, 1987 |
One of the more intriguing pieces of mail I've received lately came from a man who said he has made an important discovery that he wishes to share with the world. In his letter he said: "I have written to seven or eight news people and one television network about a discovery I came upon to get rid of those household pests, cockroaches. "I guess they all think I am out of my mind, because I have not heard from any of them. "What I want to do is give my discovery to the world.
July 18, 2013 |
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - In one of the most harrowing spacewalks in decades, an astronaut had to rush back into the International Space Station on Tuesday after a mysterious water leak inside his helmet robbed him of the ability to speak or hear and could have caused him to choke or even drown. Italian Luca Parmitano was reported to be fine after the dangerous episode, which might have been caused by a leak in the cooling system of his suit. His spacewalking partner, American Christopher Cassidy, had to help him inside after NASA quickly aborted the spacewalk.
August 16, 1999
We have two dehumidifiers in the basement that put out a bucket of water each day. I use it to water flowers outside the house and the plants inside. It's a wonderful way of conserving water. Andrew Newman Huntington Valley Have suggestions on how to save water? Call 215-854-5060, and we'll print the best ones.
August 14, 1999
Flush every other time - saves a great deal of water. John Stager Havertown Have suggestions on how to save water? Call 215-854-5060, and we'll print the best ones.
September 22, 2012 |
A water main break has forced the closure of all but one lane of southbound Roosevelt Boulevard in the Rhawnhurst section of Northeast Philadelphia. The incident was already having a significant impact on traffic as of early this morning.
August 18, 2012 |
The Fire Department has responded to a water main break in the 1800 block of North 4th Street in North Philadelphia. The extent of any flooding is not clear yet, but the street is closed in the area of the break. The 1800 block is between Cecil B. Moore Avenue and West Berks Street.
June 21, 2013 |
Philadelphia City Council will not take up a proposal to create a new water and sewer rate-making body until after the council's summer recess ends in September. City Council President Darrell L. Clarke on Wednesday delayed a vote on creating the board, which city voters authorized last November. The bill would create a new independent board of five mayoral appointees that could approve rates, which are now determined by the water commissioner. Council's Committee on Law and Government approved on the bill on June 11.
February 11, 1989 |
The hot-water faucet in the bathroom where two children died after being scalded Thursday was putting out water with a temperature approaching the boiling point, homicide detectives said yesterday. Detectives said they recorded the water temperature at 192 degrees Fahrenheit, far in excess of temperatures normal for household use. The boiling point is 212 degrees. The test led investigators to conlude that Troy L. Ayers, 3 1/2, and his half-brother, Kevin S. Wilson, 2 years and 2 months, were burned by the water after being overcome by heat and steam as their parents slept in another room in their apartment at the Queen Lane public housing project in Germantown.
May 26, 1986 |
In Water, Michael Caine is the governor of the tiny British colony of Cascara and - like all mad dogs and Englishmen - strides into the midday sun. He sports one of those silly feathered hats and says he feels as if he's wearing a chicken on his head. The film itself is a dead duck. Although Dick Clement's comedy boasts some topical material - a mandatory "Shall we wake the President?" gibe and a well-taken swing at the French attitude toward those who object to their nuclear tests - Water is really an invitation to step into a time machine.
June 24, 1989 |
When John Boyle stepped outside his house Thursday afternoon in Holland, Bucks County, he saw what "looked like a river" of rainwater flowing into his yard and into the yard next door. He began worrying because he knew that his neighbor Linda J. Sanford, 22, who suffered from cerebral palsy, was inside her family's home, in the first block of Heron Drive. But, he said yesterday, there was nothing he could do to help her because the water might have swept him away. Police, alerted by another neighbor, found Sanford's body floating in more than two feet of muddy water in the family room of the home.